Saturday, August 4, 2012

Letter to Tea Party


Dear Geauga County Tea Party,

Recently you had a correspondence with Jessica Schaner, with whom I am acquainted through a mutual concern with shale gas development. She shared with me your email exchange and I offered to respond. Not that I'm an expert at anything in particular, but I have done a fair amount of reading since first learning about “fracking” shortly after my wife and I moved our family (two young daughters) here two years ago.

Keep in mind that the initial concerns with fracking came not from activists, or documentary film makers, or scientists but rather from the mostly rural people living near the new type of wells (deep and horizontal) as they were established in the early 2000's, first in Texas and then in the Rocky Mountain and southern states, then in Pennsylvania beginning less than a decade ago.

To me the anecdotes are compelling because they stretch back to the early days of this type of drilling (the early 2000s) and they follow the development of new shale plays. The people claiming harm from drilling activities have been of no particular political persuasion – this is a non-partisan concern at the local level. They are often farmers or ranchers or otherwise hard-working Americans from “main street” of small town America. I have no motivation to doubt their reports. Still, these reports are anecdotes.

I am happy to have read in your email that you, as do I, demand factual and verifiable information. I'm an incurable skeptic. I have a science background and I tend to value peer-reviewed papers publishing analyzed data. I also demand journalism that rigorously cites its sources. So I would like to provide you with two links I find quite compelling.

First is Propublica, an independent journalism organization that has been following the fracking story since 2008. What I like about it is the fact that their (freely accessed) articles contain many live links to primary publications and reports from other science, government, and journalism organizations. Scroll down to the clickable titles of their 100 articles:

(I'll note there are other fine sources of journalism to visit as well – if you'd like me to offer more let me know)

Second is a link to links of 17 scientific papers looking into the potential or real health and environmental impacts of unconventional gas drilling. Science is playing catch-up here. It's a slow process and unfortunately is following up on the anecdotal reports (rather than preceding and maybe preventing possible problems), so there isn't much to see yet. Still, the papers linked provide ample reason for me to demand precaution from my elected officials.

My motivation in this is to protect the health of my family, especially two young, developing girls, and to protect my and my wife's emotional, psychological and financial investment in rural Geauga – a place we very much chose to move to from our previous urban existence.

I have never been politically active before this issue became my issue, and through my involvement I have thought a lot about government accountability, money in politics, the role of misinformation in political and economic discourse, and the erosion of representative democracy. I don't claim to know much about the Tea Party but it seems that some of these issues are Tea Party issues.
(See this report on gas industry money in politics:
http://www.commoncause.org/site/pp.asp?c=dkLNK1MQIwG&b=7868571)

Please check out the information I've sent and consider whether the Tea Party of Geauga County might want to take a tough stance on the changes happening in and to our community.
If you'd like me to come present my case at one of your meetings, I'd be happy to.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Steven Corso
Establishing farmer, part-time high school teacher, biologist, father of two (in no particular order)
Claridon Township, Geauga County





No comments:

Post a Comment