Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sea Life

This is for the latest Trifecta Challenge (Trifextra Week 100?)
http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/
Here are the directions: 
We are asking for a 33-word response to the following snippet:
The first time I saw. . .
Here's the catch: all of your 33 words must be one syllable each.  We're going low-brow on your this week.  Or not.  Can you class it up under these restrictions?  Give us your best.
To clarify, we are giving you 5 words.  We want another 33 from you, for a grand total of 38


With those directions, I could only think "poem", and I employed word contractions after some resistance to get me to the word limit. Here goes:

The first time I saw
a whale
breach

I thought:

"Sky's no home for whales"

The first time I saw

a whale
beached

I thought:

"Sand's no home for whales"

We too act

as though
we're not home

5 comments:

  1. I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean and once, as a child, saw a pod of whales beach along my coastline. It was a horribly tragic scene; lots of fishermen and sailors trying desperately to move them out into deeper waters but, to no avail. Then, when they died, the harvest took place then and there. You are so right, "Sand's is no home for whales." Good, thought-provoking piece. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that last stanza and you arrived at that from the actions of whales - sometimes we do function out of place.

    ReplyDelete